Lasting Powers of Attorney


There are many reasons why you may want to appoint a trusted friend or family member to help you to make decisions or to act on your behalf.  Perhaps you are travelling abroad and need someone to manage your bank account or a particular transaction while you are away.  In this case, you may want to make an Ordinary Power of Attorney.  This will enable you to appoint someone to manage your affairs for a set period of time.

Or you may be concerned that your ability to make decisions may diminish in the future due to ill health, and wish to put your wishes in writing now.  In this case, one or more of the following documents might be suitable:

  • Property & Financial Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney
  • Health & Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney
  • Living Will / Advance Directive

The cost, timeframe and complexity of the different choices varies greatly so please contact us for advice as to which document is best in your circumstances.

If you are caring for a person who has lost mental capacity, but who does not have a valid Lasting Power of Attorney (or an Enduring Power of Attorney that was made before October 2007), you may need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as that person’s Deputy.  In this case, please do contact us for advice.